OE, OEM and aftermarket: how to choose the best spare part
Here we explain what the different sorts of parts are and what you should be watching out for.
One of the main distinctive and characterizing elements of ECS is the ability to supply its customers with 3 types of spare parts:
- genuine (OE)
- first equipment (OEM)
OEM, aftermarket, and genuine spare parts. Is there a difference??
When customers are looking for a spare part, our sales staff often asks if they are looking for OEM, aftermarket, or genuine spare parts. We thought that it could be of great interest for many to learn more about the differences between these 3 types of spare parts.
OE – Genuine Parts
A genuine part, or original part, is a component that was installed in the vehicle when it was first manufactured. Genuine parts carry the company logo, but they are not necessarily better than OEM or aftermarket parts.
At ECS we can furnish original parts with a vast range of high-quality alternatives.
Thanks to many years of experience our technical sales staff will be able to advise you on the quality and performance of each part. And accompany you in choosing the most suitable spare part to meet your specific usage needs.
OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer
OEM parts, also called first equipment parts, are built by the company that initially made the parts for the vehicle manufacturer. Manufacturers that produce parts for original equipment installation are called OEM or OE Suppliers (OEMs for short)
OEM parts are just as reliable as genuine parts, but, since they do not carry the manufacturer’s logo, they are available for a better price.
At ECS we guarantee that the OEM parts we carry are precisely the same as the part that first came with your vehicle.
Once a vehicle is built, companies can manufacture spare parts that will fit for that vehicle. To do this, they buy the rights to make the parts. The aftermarket parts we sell do not always look like OEM or genuine parts, but they perfectly perform the function needed to operate on the vehicle.
A wide number of specialized companies make parts designed to function the same, or in some cases even better than the original.
At ECS we only select and sell aftermarket equivalent spare parts that have the same or better quality as original spare parts.
Let’s see with an example
“What’s the difference between these? CNH, First equipment or Aftermarket?”
CNH genuine – OE: mean goods we buy directly from IVECO, so they arrive with original box and label.
FIRST EQUIPMENT – OEM: it means the article and the box will be of the brand of the original manufacturer of the part, BOSCH or UFI.
AFTERMARKET: it means articles equivalent to the manufacturer’s and interchangeable with IVECO, but arrive in a neutral box without a label, NO BRAND.
OEM Vs Aftermarket
PROS of OEM Spare Parts
- Easier to choose your part: you don’t have to worry about assessing the quality of different brands and prices. OEM parts available at ECS are just as reliable as genuine parts.
- Greater assurance of quality: the OEM part work exactly as the one you are replacing. Quality and performance are guaranteed.
CONS of OEM Spare Parts
- More expensive: OEM parts will usually cost more than an aftermarket part.
- Quality may not be superior: You paid the extra money for an OEM part, hoping that it was vastly better than an aftermarket part. But that may not always be the case. Some aftermarket parts are equal to or in some cases better than OEM parts. So you should always ask the opinion of someone who is an expert. At ECS, our sales technicians will accompany you in choosing the solution that best suits your specific needs
PROS of Aftermarket Spare Parts
- Less expensive: aftermarket parts are usually sold at a lower price than OEM parts. The price difference can vary from brand to brand.
- Quality can be equal to or higher than OEM: in some cases, you may end up with a better part than you started with.
- More variety: there are hundreds of companies that make aftermarket parts. Some specialize in specific parts, and other companies make almost any part you can think of. At ECS our sales technicians will follow you in identifying the spare part (and the most suitable manufacturer) for your specific needs
CONS of Aftermarket Spare Parts
- Quality varies greatly: some aftermarket parts are inferior because of the use of lower-quality materials. At ECS we only select and sell aftermarket equivalent spare parts that have the same or better quality as original spare parts.
- Overwhelming selection: if you’re not familiar with aftermarket brands, the selection could be overwhelming, and there’s some chance you may get a bad quality part. At ECS, our sales technicians will follow you in identifying the spare part (and the most suitable manufacturer) for your specific needs
- May not have a warranty: some aftermarket parts are sold without a warranty.
OE Brands available at ECS
We can furnish original parts with a vast range of high-quality alternatives. At ECS we mainly deal with the following Top European Brands:
IVECO, is a global manufacturer of light, medium and heavy commercial vehicles, city and intercity buses and coaches, fire fighting vehicles, defence vehicles and off-road vehicles for construction and mining work.
FPT Industrial was established by merging all engine, transmission and axle activities of IVECO, CASE IH and NEW HOLLAND – so inheriting their competence and capacity.
FPT Industrial by developing the revolutionary Common Rail injection system and the HI-eSCR EGR-free after-treatment solution.
It also builds engines for Caterpillar, Mitsubishi , Manitu.
Scania is a major Swedish manufacturer of commercial vehicles – specifically heavy trucks and buses.
One of the largest medium to heavy-duty truck brands in the world
The Mercedes-Benz Trucks brand has combined excellent products, maximum quality, convenience, reliability and sustainability, which are summarized in their slogan “Trucks you can trust“.
Building on the legacy of more than a century of innovative French truck know-how, Renault Trucks supplies transport professionals with tools they need to more efficiently conduct their business.
A full range of tractors, rigids and drawbars, vans, tippers, mixers, tankers, concrete mixers, fire and rescue and roadworks vehicles.
Italian industry that design and sales all over the world technologically advanced operating machines that guarantee the highest standards of safety at work.
Have a complete range of telescopic handlers, both fixed and rotating, DBM self-loading concrete mixers, and Cingo multi-purpose tracked transporters.
More than 90 years of DAF, more than 90 years of innovation.
DAF has always been known for its clever transport solutions. And all those sophisticated solutions had in common that they served a clear purpose.
DAF offers you industry-leading trucks and services for highest transport efficiency.
The company’s product portfolio includes vans, trucks, buses/coaches and diesel and gas engines along with services related to passenger and cargo transport has had to overcome some major challenges on the road to international success.
Throughout it all, the company has continued to make a decisive contribution to the development of passenger and goods transportation
ECS provides you what you need!
No matter what type of part you need, ECS has what you’re looking for. For any need, our sales staff is at your disposal to help you identify the component that perfectly fits your application.
If you are looking for a specific spare part, you can easily contact us on our contact page.
You can also find more information about the Best European Brands we deal with on our website.
Our efficient logistics systems ensure that you’ll get the part you need when you need it.